Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

will the cost of the cell phone be deducted from child support?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

We have been separated for over a year without a formal separation. We have two children but only one is still a minor (17). He has not paid any child support to date but he does pay for his cell phone. One of our cars was supposed to become the minors when he got his license but my ex sold it along with the other car to buy one car for himself so now he is paying for a second car for our child. I would like to know, will the cost of the cell phone be deducted from child support?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jennifer M. Long, B.A. J.D.
5 years ago

If you are the parent with whom the child primarily resides, you are entitled to receive child support. The amount of child support payable is mandated by the Child Support Guidelines and is based on the pay​e​r's annual income and the number of children. In addition to this table support, "special" or "extraordinary" expenses are expenses that fall outside the scope of basic child support and are payable in addition to guideline support. While a cell phone expense is not typically considered a special expense, parties can agree to share the cost of such expense, in addition to regular guideline child support. Although your question was directed specifically to the issue of the child's cell phone, it appears that there may be other issues relating to child support and special expenses that I would recommend you discuss in greater detail with a lawyer, namely child support for a​ ​child over the age of majority and the payments your ex is making towards a vehicle for the child.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x