Child Access and Visitation in Canada

When one parent is awarded custody of the children the other parent is normally granted access, this is sometimes referred to as “visitation”. A parent with access is entitled to visit and be visited by their children, as well as be kept informed about all important issues concerning their children’s health, education and welfare. In Canada the courts firmly believe that all children should have as much contact as possible with both parents, as long as it is in the child’s best interest.

In the event that the courts have concerns regarding a person’s parenting ability, or there is a risk of abduction, “supervised access” will be awarded to a parent.

  • Supervised Access – This is when all visits conducted between a parent with access and their children occur at a facility where they can be supervised by social workers.

It is important to remember that over time a child’s needs will change, as can a parent’s circumstances. What was best for the children at one time may no longer be in the children’s best interest any longer. Due to this, child custody and access arrangements can be changed by the courts.

Once you have worked out living and care arrangements for your children, you will need to consider the issue of child support.

Latest Anonymous Questions

Can I not pay child support in Canada?1 Reply

Posted in Anonymous Q & A, Children, Location, Montreal, Quebec by Questions on May 3, 2016

Hi, I’m a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don’t even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her yesterday and she said: “Don’t […]

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn’t want to pay support1 Reply

Posted in Divorce, Location, Ontario, Toronto Downtown Core by Questions on May 1, 2016

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

My ex stopped child support payments1 Reply

Posted in Children, Location, Ontario, Scarborough by Questions on April 29, 2016

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are disagreements (there is conflict resolution process for it). How can I enforce the separation agreement?

Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9