Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Taking children

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

how can i get my children in the philippines if i divorce my husband here in canada?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jennifer M. Long, B.A. J.D.
5 years ago

I strongly urge you to consult with a lawyer about the details of your situation as more information is needed to respond to your question. For example:  Are you asking to move your children to the Philippines? If so, it may not be easy to move them out of Canada if your husband is staying here.  How long have they lived in Canada? How old are they? Are the children established in Canada? Depending on the circumstances, you would normally  have to demonstrate a very good reason to move them, and this would not likely be easy but you should speak to a lawyer immediately about the reasons you would want to move the children etc. 

If your question is based on the children already being in the Philippines and how to get them back, then we would need to know how long they have been there, under what circumstances, how old they are, who they are with, etc.?  Have the children always resided in the Philippines or has your husband brought them there for example and failed to return with them? The Philippines is not a signatory to the Hague convention on child abduction so in order to obtain custody of the children I believe you would need to deal with that issue in the Philippine court system and under Philippine law. Again, I highly recommend that you speak with a lawyer about your situation, specifically one with experience with international divorces so that the lawyer has enough detail and understanding of your situation to properly advise you.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x