Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Custody Conundrum

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I separated from my common-law spouse June 1 2012. We have two children age 5 and 8. Initially we made a verbal agreement to share the children 50%, but his behaviour and various events have caused me to question if this arrangement continues to be in the best interest for the children. Part of the reason why I left was because he was very passive aggressive and controlling, and I witnessing behaviours in the children that lead me to feel that they are at times afraid to express themselves when they are in his care. I am not sure how to proceed or if I have enough to warrant a custody case. I believe that he can be a good father, but don't feel that he always acts in the best interest of the children. I don't want to revoke all access to the children from him, just amend it so that they spend majority time with me. I worry that perhaps I am approaching this from an emotional perspective and am looking for legal counsel in the best way to proceed so I can ensure the best quality of life for the children. I am located in Kingston, Ontario so I am not sure if you can even help me, but if you have a resource in this area you can point me to I would be more than happy to utilize that resource. I also have to be mindful of expenses as I cannot afford a large retainer, but because of my annual salary don't qualify for legal aide (whereas he would because he is currently unemployed). There was no arrangement made for child support, I have been paying all of the day-care expenses. When he lost his job I indicated that I would no longer pay for child-care on his days with the children while he is off work.

I just need a direction to go in, or someone to tell me I am over-reacting and worrying to much and that the children will be fine.

I appreciate any advice or guidance you have to offer.

Amanda Rogerson

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

I suggest you begin contacting lawyers in Kingston for an appointment and see which one you feel would best represent your interests.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x