Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

I am unsure if I should take action after a common-law relationship break up

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I have been with the same man for over 5 years, living with him on and off - the longest being 2 years straight. I was in it for the long haul, and thought marriage was in sight.

He has thrown me out and all I have is $100 to my name and have been sleeping on friends couches. We have a dog together, and he even cosigned on my student loan for me when I was in school.

I never ever wanted any of his property/money, and I told him over and over I was willing to sign a prenup/cohabitation agreement. I love him, not his assets.

Now, I am all alone with nothing. Should I ask him for compensation? I have a long way to go before being back on my feet again. What are my rights?

Thank you for your time.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Stuart Zukerman
5 years ago

As long as he agrees or provided that you can establish on a balance of probabilities that the 2 of you lived together in a spousal like relationship for a continuous period of 2 years or more (with any break ups within that period lasting less than 90 days) then you are a common-law spouse under the Family Law Act & therefore able to make claims for spousal support & for property & debt division (excluding the pre cohabitation equity & debt from any such division).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x