Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

My spouse will not respond to my separation agreement.

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My spouse will not respond to my separation agreement. It is to set up my spousal support payments- I have been paying for 4 years and want a legal document so I can move on to divorce. What are my options

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Based on your question you may be having difficulties obtaining your spousal support deduction from CRA. If so, this is because you do not have a separation agreement or Court Order which provides for the payment of spousal support. Thus, it is important that you do have either a signed separation agreement or Court Order in your case.

If your spouse will not respond then you have two options. First, we can commence a Court Application. Once that has taken place your spouse will have no choice but to respond within 30 days. Second, in theory you could discontinue the spousal support payments as you are not technically required to make them if there is no signed agreement or Court Order. I wish to be clear that I am not recommending that you cease the payments. I would first need to speak with you and ask you questions, and likely my recommendation would be that we send a letter to your spouse (or her lawyer if she has one) advising that if she does not cooperate within a certain period of time that you will have no choice but to discontinue the payments. However, once again, until I have had an opportunity to speak with you this is not a recommendation in any manner, just one of the potential options that I may recommend after I have had an opportunity to speak with you, assuming that you telephone me.

I may be reached at 866-557-3222 for a free consultation.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. As well, generally speaking, the above information relates to Ontario law. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, or if you are making inquiries where Ontario law may not apply, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x