Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

long term seperation

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My fiancé has been separated from her ex-husband for nearly 12 years. He is a controlling manipulative individual who has never paid any support for their three kids, albeit distant, since their separation but has maintained a relationship with them.
My fiancé approached him regarding making their divorce final and is being exceptionally difficult in agreeing to sign any divorce paperwork.

My question is, is there not some sort of statute of limitations on how long a couple has been separated before one half can simply file by themselves? If so, how long is the waiting period, and is it complicated to go this route?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jennifer M. Long, B.A. J.D.
7 years ago

No its quite simple. You serve him with a simple divorce application (someone over 18 has to serve him and it cannot be the spouse). Once thirty days expires, the party asking for divorce can simply file an affidavit for divorce and set it down for divorce. Depending on the court, it can take a few months to be signed and finalized. However, if there are issues of support etc. that have not been finalized, this should be addressed. You are best to seek the assistance of a family law lawyer to assist you and advise your partner on her rights.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x