Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Common law separation for property

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I have been with my partner for five years when he purchased our house. The house is in his name and 1% his mothers. He's always refered to it as our house and I have paid him money each month to go towards mortgage, bills etc. He recently broke it off, I'm just wondering what my rights are for Common law separation for property.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Based on your question you are a common law couple. First, you have the ability to claim spousal support, if the facts are in your favor, given that you have lived together for more than three years. You have not provided any facts in terms of income, children, etc., and thus I would need to speak with you before commenting further. I am simply alerting you to this issue.

In terms of the home as you are not legally married you are not entitled to an equalization of net family property pursuant to the Family Law Act. It is still possible for you to make a common law claim to seek a portion of the home, and for that matter other assets or debt division as well, and the fact that you have paid toward the mortgage, bills, etc. is certainly helpful in terms of making such a claim. Thus, in terms of what your rights are, you can make a common law claim to get some portion of the home. Whether you would be successful is a different issue and, if you telephone me at 866-557-3222 for a free consultation, I can provide you with guidance once I have had an opportunity to ask you questions.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. As well, generally speaking, the above information relates to Ontario law. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, or if you are making inquiries where Ontario law may not apply, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x