Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Am I entitled to anything from him for my special needs child?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My common law spouse and myself of over 4 years are splitting up, I have legally and full guardianship of a special needs child we have raised together since he was 5 days old , he is now 3 and has called my spouse dad since he was able to speak, and my spouse is the only father figure my child has had. We have both been on my spouse's medical and dental coverage from his work. I am curious to know, Am I entitled to anything from him for my special needs child?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Stuart Zukerman
6 years ago

You may be entitled to spousal support (depending upon the difference in your annual incomes); Child support (in accordance with the Child Support Guidelines); Apportionment of Special and Extraordinary Expenses (pursuant to s.7 of the Child Support Guidelines; a possible order requiring your spouse to maintain coverage for you and the child going forward; A claim for a division of assets and debts (that is you are entitled to one half of the increase in equity gained from the date of marriage to the date of division or the date of separation: in real property, RRSPs, CPP, employment pensions, savings, investments, and contents of the home. Your best bet is to consult with an experienced lawyer who can provide more fulsome answers and advice upon hearing all of the facts of your situation.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x