Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Can our separation agreement be updated before the final divorce ?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

Separation agreement was signed by both parties but since information came about that each party have retirement benefits that are hugely different. Wife is retired and pension is based and was married to present spouse for 16 yrs. Husband is entitled to half of her pension should she die. Husband is younger, still employed. Is separation agreement binding or can this new info be brought out before final divorce decree. Info just came forward from teacher's pension board.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
6 years ago

I assume that the agreement contemplated the parties equalizing their respective net family properties. To address this situation, you need to set aside the contract. Until the agreement is set aside, it is binding on the parties. The parties had not completed valuations of their respective properties, and yet proceeded to enter into and sign the agreement. The issue is whether the terms of the contract merit protection and being upheld. You should seek to fit your concerns relating to the agreement into one or more of the following factors: no legal advice, no financial disclosure, and otherwise common law grounds on which the contract should be set aside. The Family Law Act contemplates parties contracting out of the equalization regime of parties net family properties, and instead having the parties decide on issues of property division. One would need to first determine whether or not the intentions of the parties was to equalize their respective net family properties or enter into contractual arrangements as to a division of value of property based on other terms, there is a difference in these approaches.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x