Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline


Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

Anonymous Asked:

I have always stayed home with my children. Have not worked since 1977. A 15 year common law relationship just ended. I am 58 with few skills, and thanks to the son-of-a-bitch, no confidence or self-esteem. It has taken its' toll. He is to pay spousal. How long am I entitled to it?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

It appears that you were involved in a long term relationship where you were the primary care giver for the children. The issue of spousal support is a complicated aspect of family law and there are no fast and easy answers.

The amount and duration of spousal support will depend on your former partner's income, the sacrifices you made during the relationship and the type of lifestyle you were accustomed to.

You need to speak to a lawyer about the particulars of your case.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x