Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Moving out of our house and buying my own

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

Hi. My spouse and I are separating and soon we will be selling our property held in joint names. She has been verbally abusive and is being really difficult to be around. If I purchased a new home In my own name with a gifted deposit whist we are still in the process of selling the property in our joint names, can my spouse:
1) refuse to sell our home and not move out
2) claim any part of the new property being purchased in my sole name.
Many Thanks

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Stuart Zukerman
5 years ago

Anyone can do or refuse to do anything and anyone can sue you for anything so the answer to both questions is technically “Yes”. However if she refuses to move out or refuses to sign a listing agreement, you can bring a court application to obtain a court order to list the home for sale and to approve a sale or forcefully remove her from the home prior to the completion of sale (or even to force her absence during showings of the home). While she can make any claim she wants, generally if new property is acquired post separation with funds that cannot be traced as a pre separation asset (ie you have well documented any post separation gifts or loans), then such claims are bound to fail.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x