Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Am I entitled to half the matrimonial home and spousal support?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I am a permanent resident of Canada, sponsored by my husband of 5 years. he has asked me for a divorce. He claims he pays me $16,000. thru his business and he owns our home. Am I entitled to half the matrimonial home and $16,000. for spousal support?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
5 years ago

The immigration process has no bearing on the family law issues. I cannot comment on the $16,000, and you will need to consult with a family law lawyer. Given that you and your husband have discussed settlement, perhaps he would be willing to provide you with his income tax information for the last three years and also provide a real estate opinion to value the home, and provide a list of assets and debts as of the date of marriage and also on separation. You would need to provide him similar information so that he can also seek out legal advice from a family law lawyer. If you want general information about how to calculate spousal support and resolve the equalization of property issues, then please review this website or review the Department of Justice and Ontario Attorney General websites. Without all of the financial information, it is not possible to indicate whether the one-half of the home and $16000 is the appropriate amount, because he could have other assets, or he may not but maybe he has debts.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x