Contactez un avocatNEW Support Group
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

My rights as a visitor in Canada

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

Anonymous Asked:

My husband is Canadian and I am not we are married for 6years I have been living with him in Canada for 2years but as visiter so I stay 6 months and leave and come back before we used to live in our original country. Now he wants to divorce me I gave him money to get a house and he didnt. I need to know my rights

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jennifer M. Long, B.A. J.D.
5 years ago

Although you are not a Canadian citizen, if either you or your husband has been residing in Canada continuously for a period of at least one year prior to your separation, a divorce proceeding can be commenced here in Canada.

Ontario’s Family Law Act (FLA) sets out the regime for property division between spouses upon the breakdown of a marriage. Central to this regime is the calculation of each party’s “net family property” (NFP). NFP is the value of each party’s property on the date of separation, taking into account all assets and liabilities, and excluding property held by each party on the date of marriage, with the exception of the matrimonial home, which cannot be deducted from a party’s NFP. Once both parties’ NFP’s have been determined, the spouse with the greater NFP will owe the other spouse an “equalization payment” of one half the difference between the two NFPs. The value of the matrimonial home, regardless of whose name is on title, will be factored into this calculation. I strongly recommend that you consult with a lawyer, who can explain the equalization process to you in greater detail.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x