Embaucher un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Living in India, how to get a divorce?

Anonymous Asked:

Hi, I am an indian citizen and my wife is a canadian citizen. We got married in India in Nov 2012. She spent 3 months with me in India and then I immigrated to Canada under spouse sponsorship in Sep 2014.

After coming to Canada, I stayed with her at her parents house for one full year till Sep 2015 and now I have come back to India.

My wife has got anger issues and I cannot stay with her any more, she has no clue that I am thinking of divorcing her. I had to make an excuse to get away from her and came to India.

Now, I am confused how to go about divorcing her, should I do it in Canada or is it better for me to divorce her here in India?

Could you please assist?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Andrew J. Kania, LL.B., LL.M.
8 years ago

Thank you for your question. I cannot comment upon the law of India. However, I can state that you are entitled to pursue a divorce in Canada, even though you have returned to India and are an Indian citizen, as long as your wife has ordinarily resided in Canada for at least one year prior to the commencement of the Divorce Application. As she is a Canadian citizen living here I assume that this requirement is easily met. I can most certainly assist you with obtaining such a divorce without your presence in Canada, as there is only one original signature required from you and we can provide you with this required documentation in due course. If a Divorce Application is first commenced and served, then you can sign the required Affidavit in front of a Notary Public in India and then return it to us. If you wish a free consultation, we can speak over Skype. You are welcome to send me an e-mail at ajkania@kanialawyers.com to make the necessary arrangements if you so choose.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. As well, generally speaking, the above information relates to Ontario law. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, or if you are making inquiries where Ontario law may not apply, please contact Douglas Briand for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

What can you buy while you filling for a divorce

What can you invest on or buy while you are going through divorce

DC Icon

Preparing for Court: What to Expect in a Contested Divorce Trial in Ontario

Divorce is a life-altering event that can be emotionally draining and legally complex. When a divorce becomes contested, both spouses cannot agree on some or all of the key issues. This can lead to more significant challenges, as the court has to step ...

DC Icon

Do Divorce Lawyers Work on Weekends? Get Expert Advice When You Need It

If you've been wondering, "Do divorce lawyers work on weekends?" you most likely are experiencing the common truth that navigating the complexities of divorce can be challenging, and finding the right time to discuss your concerns with a divorce lawyer ...

DC Icon

How to Not Pay Spousal Support in Canada

Introduction Divorce can be a challenging and emotionally draining process, and one of the most contentious issues is often the payment of spousal support. Many individuals going through a divorce wonder, "how to not pay spousal support in Canada?" Whi ...

DC Icon

Divorce Lawyer for Business Owners: Protecting Your Business and Assets

Divorce is a difficult and emotional process for anyone, but it can be particularly challenging for business owners. The division of assets and determination of spousal support can have a significant impact on the future of a business. That's why it's ...

DC Icon

Divorce Lawyer For High Net-Worth Individuals

High Net Worth Divorces: Navigating the Complexities and Protecting Your Assets Divorce is never an easy process, but when it comes to a high net worth separation and divorce, the stakes are even higher. Unlike the average divorce, high net worth divor ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x