Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Living with new spouse prior to divorcing existing

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I have relation with other woman and would like to marry to her. I have told my wife that I have relation and we have been living under one roof for kids. Next year I plan to move out and live in a separate apartment and invite my new partner to live with me. Can I do it without waiting for divorce to complete form existing spouse!

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Site Admin
7 years ago

Please see our FAQ's

What Are the Consequences of Having my Girlfriend/Boyfriend Move in with Me?

When you’re getting a divorce, you most certainly do have the right to continue on with your life. There are, however, some legal considerations that you have to take into account. Generally, until your divorce is finalized, it’s inadvisable to have your girlfriend or boyfriend move in with you. There are good reasons why you should wait until everything is finalized, all of the legal issues are taken care of and you are officially divorced from your spouse before you move in with someone else or have someone else move in with you.


Before your divorce is finalized, you are technically still married. A separation is not the same thing as a divorce. Technically, if you are with someone else while you are still married, it is considered adultery. This could impact how the court views your obligations to your spouse. It can also turn the situation ugly if you and your spouse were having an amicable divorce beforehand. They may, for instance, realize that, because you are cohabitating, you have a lot more money to spare and ask for more support in spousal support arrangements.


Remember that, if there are children involved, the court is going to put their needs first in every instance. If you move in with someone or someone moves in with you and the court does not believe that they are suitable to be around your children, that may affect your custody agreements. Your soon-to-be ex-spouse may very well object to the person moving in with you or that you’re moving in with, as well, and they have every right to. The best bet is always to wait until your divorce is finalized to fully start over with your new life and move in with someone or have someone move in with you.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x