Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Self-Employed - I need advice

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

Married since 2010 and I have a child of my own she is 23yrs old. My husband and I are self employed on our tiny little company for 3years now or so. We are both to the point of having a divorce plan but does not know where to start. Please help me understand the procedures and what I have to do during these difficult decision? Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
6 years ago

Please note the article on the Divorce-Canada.ca website sets out some very general information in respect of the procedures to follow after separation https://divorce-canada.ca/marriage-separation-in-canada The first thing to do after reading that article is to contact a family law lawyer for a consultation to give some background information and so that the lawyer can help you understand the difference between negotiations through counsel, mediation, mediation/arbitration and litigation. Each of these processes have different steps to follow and each would be suitable depending on certain factual circumstances between the spouses. No matter what process you choose disclosure of financial information is fundamental to the proper outcome.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x