Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

does her sponsorship for Canadian residency end?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I sponsored my wife for Canadian residency last year. I am permanent resident. Things are not going well and we have a daughter.
Can we divorce in Egypt? If we divorce in Quebec, does her sponsorship for Canadian residency end? For daughter custody, do I have advantage since I am a permanent resident?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Andrew Heft
5 years ago

If you sponsored your wife for Canadian residency based on a program where marriage is a condition then seeking or obtaining a divorce from her will definitely impact her ability to obtain citizenship. If you sponsored her under a program which did not require her to be your spouse then it will not.

Concerning custody, the Court will focus on establishing what is in the best interest of the child. The Court will evaluate the child’s global situation including the possibility that one of the parents might have to relocate to Egypt post-divorce. Canadian residency or citizenship is not a determining factor in custody cases. What is considered is where the child will live and which situation is in his or her best interest.

As for the possibility of obtaining a divorce in Egypt, I would recommend you communicate with an attorney from Egypt to determine if this is possible even though you and your spouse are currently living in Canada.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x