Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline


Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

Anonymous Asked:

My common law relationship ended after almost 15 years. We purchased a second water front home. I contributed a substantial amount to the purchase from an inheritance received before meeting my ex. My ex has taken it from me - changed the locks, etc. My lawyer has done nothing about it. Am I entitled to half ? Is it costly to force a sale?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

As you were in a common law relationship, there is no automatic division of your property as the provisions of the Family Law Act do not apply to you. However, if you own property with your former spouse, you are entitled to your share of the value of the property. Without seeing a copy of the deed verifying your ownership interest, we cannot comment on the amount of same. In order to force a sale, you would need to commence legal proceedings against your former spouse. Unfortunately without knowing more details, we cannot provide you with an estimate of your legal costs

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x