Embaucher un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

He is planning on selling his 50% of the home

Anonymous Asked:

My common law spouse and I have been separated for almost 5 years now. I still live in the home which is in both our names. We have both been paying equal amounts towards the mortgage each month. He has just informed me that he is planning on selling his 50% of the home to a "company" and that a new name will appear on the title with mine. He says that this make me responsible for all debt owing on the home and allow him to walk away. Is this possible...or legal...for him to do??

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Stuart Zukerman
6 years ago

There is currently nothing to stop him from transferring his interest to anyone else or to a company. You could file a Certificate of Pending Litigation against title (this requires you to commence a proceeding by way of a Notice of Family Claim) which would likely at least temporarily prevent any change in title). If he stops paying, you may be able to seek spousal support from him to help contribute to the mortgage expense – although it initially appears that you may be barred from claiming you are a spouse under the FLA (because it has been more than 2 years since you separated), however you could argue that the two years time limit was extended (or suspended from running) by reason of his continuing to voluntarily pay support to you by continuing to pay the mortgage for the past 5 years such that you had no reason to file for spousal support because of his agreement to continue to pay the mortgage. If you are found to be a spouse under the FLA then you can also claim a division of debts including the mortgage. Any new property owner would take their new interest subject to the prior mortgage on title such that if the home was sold, they would net 50% of the equity after the mortgage has been discharged from title and I believe that you would have a claim against the new owner for an accounting of half of any property taxes, property insurance and possibly any reduction in the principal owing on the mortgage by reason of your payments. You want need to speak to a Real Estate lawyer on this latter issue of an accounting to the new corporate owner and your rights if any to seek contributions to the mortgage from them.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x