Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

FRO now thinks there is back child support owed

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

When we divorced my wife did not ask for support for the kids. At one time she went on Social Assistance and we agreed on me paying her $300.00 a month. This never went through the courts , we just wrote an agreement between ourselves and I paid her $300 a month for about 5 years until the kids were 18. I recently found out she gave this note to FRO and since they were not aware of the monthly payments I gave her, FRO now thinks there is back child support owed. How do I fight this?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

In order to provide you with detailed guidance I would first need to speak with you. You are welcome to telephone me at 866-557-3222 for a free consultation. I will comment that if the Family Responsibility Office is enforcing a support agreement against you then there are three alternatives that would make sense for you. The first is to convince your former wife to sign a Notice of Withdrawal. The second one would be to convince your former wife to sign an appropriate consent. The third option would be for you to commence a Motion to Change to seek an appropriate Order in relation to the note that you signed, which may include either the reduction of the alleged support arrears or their rescission. Once again, you are welcome to telephone me at 866-557-3222 for a free consultation.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. As well, generally speaking, the above information relates to Ontario law. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, or if you are making inquiries where Ontario law may not apply, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x