Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Divorce lawyer vs Colaborating divorce law

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

If I choose a Colaborative divorce lawyer, and my husband has his own lawyer, whether he is of Colaborative law or a divorce lawyer, will my personal lawyer be giving me legal advice concerning my best interests? Such as will my lawyer take in consideration my predicament and make suggestions on my behalf or should I simply get a divorce lawyer.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

A collaborative lawyer adopts a mediation process to resolving matters. Many lawyers that are not "collaborative lawyers" also adopt this approach.

The collborative process involves the use a lawyer for each party. The lawyer represents the client at the collaborative process.

If the case does not settle in the collaborative process and you need to go to court, then you need to start all over again with another lawyer.

Since most people have a fixed amount of money to spend on legal services, it makes more sense to use a divorce or family law lawyer who will use a collaborative approach to handle your matter. That way if the case does not settle in the collaborative process, you can still use the same lawyer and go to court.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x