Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

How much of my pension is she entitled to?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I was married for 25years and am moving towards retiring and she wants partial payments from my pension. I do not understand what she is entitled to. Is there a formula or a chart that states what the entitlement would be such as a percentage

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
5 years ago

Your pension is both an asset and an income source. If you have equalized your assets, then you will need to obtain actuary advice as to the portion of the pension that was previously equalized. There is law, Boston v. Boston, dealing with double dipping on a pension. There are also exceptions to the double dipping rule. The formula used to determine the appropriate amount of spousal support are the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines. However, until you have determined the appropriate income to use for you, then it is premature to resort to the support calculations. It is best to consult with a family law lawyer to discuss whether you have a previous court order or agreement, and whether your property was divided, and if not what the implications are going to be if the other spouse does divided your property. The family law lawyer will want to be involved throughout the process to ensure that all issues are included into the drafting of an agreement.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x