Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Down but not out Deborah

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My husband left me & my 2 boys on Sept 1 of this year. He cancelled the lease on our rental home leaving me to find another place for us to live. He has contributed zero support for my kids or myself ( I was a stay at home mom & now make 15.00 p/hr)
I filed separation papers with the court & he was served yesterday. He is now saying he is not required to pay support as he is asking for shared custody arrangement.
I think his motives are purely monetary & an attempt to screw us over, again. Will the court grant this to him automatically ? How is it decided upon?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
6 years ago

Child support is calculated differently in a situation of shared custody. The initial starting point is the Table amounts which each parent would be required to pay, but then there are other considerations such as increased costs of shared custody, and conditions, means, needs and circumstances, in respect of the shared custody situation. Its best to contact a lawyer for a consultation to discuss what the court would and would not grant, and how the child support issue could possibly be determined in your situation. The court will take into consideration the gross annual incomes or most current income information, and having regard to the Tables which set out monthly amounts of child support to be paid. The child support is owing from the date of separation, and if not paid will be treated as retroactive amounts.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x