Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Am I entitled to ask for a payout?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

Anonymous Asked:

I am trying to determine what is fair in separation of property. My (ex) husband and I are still living in the same house. He has stated many times he wants a divorce but makes no move to do so. I have started the process and am trying to find a place to move to. I was at home with the kids for 10 years and only started working 21 months ago. I have a well paying stable job and do not expect support payments. He will be keeping our house and intends to rent out part of it for income. He is saying that he absolutely will not pay me out any portion of the house (I am not on title) nor will he pay any spousal or child support. I qualify for a mortgage but do not have a down payment as I am still paying for things that I paid for when I was not working and he refused to pay for them (groceries, gas for his car, clothes for the kids, school supplies, etc). Am I entitled to go after any money to help me get a down payment for a house? ( I am only needing a total of 12-15 thousand of which I have some saved).

Thank you

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Stuart Zukerman
6 years ago

Whether your name is on title to the house is entirely irrelevant. The Family Law Act of BC provides that you are entitled to one half of the equity in the house (subject to each party being entitled to first be paid back whatever pre-relationship money they can prove they put into the equity in the house and the balance of the remaining equity being equally divided).
If your current annual income is lower than your spouse’s current annual income then you are entitled to spousal support based on the application of the Spousal Support Guidelines. If you have primary or shared care of the children then you have entitlement to child support in accordance with the Child Support Guidelines. If you have debts in your name that were incurred for family purposes prior to the separation, then those debts are subject to an equal split or a reapportioned split to achieve fairness. There is no legal claim for “money for a downpayment” – what you use your support for or your presumptive 50% share of the equity in: the house, vehicles, household contents, saving accounts, RRSP, Investments and Pensions or other assets owned by each of you for is your business whether it is for a downpayment or otherwise is irrelevant.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x