Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Can cost of living get calculated as part of child support?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My ex owns one house, mortgage free, which she lives in and a second one with a family member that is being renovated to be sold for a profit. At this point she is not making any money off the income property but could this be somehow factored into her annual income? Also the fact that her primary residence is mortgages free while I pay rent means that my cost of living is quite a bit higher than hers. Can this influence the amount of child support I pay?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Answer: You have raised two questions. I answer them as follows:

1. Yes, the actual profit that she is/should be earning as a result of rental income does get included in her overall income. I can comment further on your exact facts if you call me and I can ask you some questions.
2. If you wish to pay LESS than the Child Support Guidelines, and she does not agree, then you need to make an undue hardship claim. In order to be successful your TOTAL household income needs to be lower than her TOTAL household income.

I invite you to telephone me for a free consultation, at: (866) 557-3222, so that I can provide proper guidance to you.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x