Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

When Court Ordered Shared Custody Doesn't Work

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

When Court Ordered Shared Custody Doesn't Work. If the court ordered shared custody is failing, how do you convince a judge? Issues: inability to cooperate/co-parent, poor communication, unreasonable decision-making by one parent, one parent's refusal to participate in extra-curricular activities, non-payment of one parent for extraordinary expenses. Or are the kids stuck in it forever if there isn't something glaring like abuse?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jennifer M. Long, B.A. J.D.
5 years ago

If parents tried to commit to joint parenting but it is not working, and decisions cannot be made, etc. then an application can be made to change the custody arrangements. You would want to show all efforts to communicate, responses (or lack of responses); unreasonable ​behavior etc. If the inability to communicate is particularly effecting the children (ex: unable to participate in activities; attend events; go to counseling, whatever the case may be) this likely will be a concern to a court and may push a judge to make a decision to change custody or set out how decisions will be made. The best interests of the child/ren will always be the most prevalent factor.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x