Contactez un avocatNEW Support Group
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Can I still go after him for child support after all these years?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

Anonymous Asked:

My son just turned 18, I got divorced 16 years ago. After the divorce my ex went missing and has never given me any child support. Since my son turned 18 years old, he has come out of hiding. Can I still go after him for child support after all these years?

Missing until he became of legal age how convenient.....

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Andrew Heft
6 years ago

You will be able to go after your ex for child support but only for a certain period of time. The general rule is one year unless you can prove that you were not able to claim child support earlier. In a case were the other party is hiding and if reasonable efforts were made to find the person, then you should be able to obtain child support retroactively to at least 3 years. If you are able to prove that your ex-spouse was purposefully hiding from his child support obligations it could be possible to go beyond the 3 years but to a maximum of 10 years from the request date.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x