Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Matrimonial home visitation

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My husband and I have recently separated. He volunteered to leave. I live in the home with our 17 year old son. Because it is the matrimonial home my ex wants me to leave the house for half a day a week so he can come in and spend time with our son. My husband has enough money to rent a place until we sell our house next year but is living in his brother's basement about an hour away. While I understand this is the matrimonial home I feel that asking me to leave regularly is not appropriate. I would rather see him take our son out our better still get his own place nearby. He is verbally abusive and I feel too uncomfortable being in the house with him. This may be why or son is avoiding him too. I never reported the abuse and I feel physically safe around him.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jennifer M. Long, B.A. J.D.
5 years ago

Although your husband has voluntarily left the home, you both have an equal right to live in the home. Since he has moved out though, he should give you reasonable notice as to when he intends to attend at the home, but you cannot bar him from entering unless you obtain an order for exclusive possession. If your husband attends at the home to visit with your son, you do not need to leave the home while he is there, although you may wish to given the feelings of discomfort you mentioned. I suggest that you consult with a lawyer who may be able to assist you in negotiating an alternative interim access location with your husband.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x