Embaucher un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Stay at home mom with 4 kids

Anonymous Asked:

I have 4 kids, we are legally married. I want a divorce and child support. He makes 46$/hour, he is a plumber. I'm stay at home mom with kids. He doesn't think he can support me with anything. I want to know if that's how it is - am I legally entitled to some money?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jennifer M. Long, B.A. J.D.
7 years ago

If the children reside with you and you are the primary caregiver, your husband has an obligation to pay child support. Child support is mandated across Canada by the Child Support Guidelines. The amount of Guideline child support payable is based on the payor parent’s annual income and the number of children in need of support.

In addition to Guideline child support, any special or extraordinary expenses (ie. braces, extracurricular activities, post-secondary education, etc.) are over and above the regular Guideline amount, and are split between the parties in proportion to their incomes.

As you do not work outside of the home, you may also have a claim for spousal support. Unlike child support which is an automatic right of the child, spousal support is discretionary. You will need to establish that you are in need of support, or that you require compensation (ie. you sacrificed your career to stay home and care for the children). Once entitlement is established, the amount of support to be paid, and the length of time it is payable for will need to be determined based on your respective incomes, and taking into account factors such as your ages, the ages of the children, and the length of the marriage.

I strongly recommend that you consult with a lawyer who will be able to explain the issues of child support and spousal support to you in greater detail.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Preparing for Court: What to Expect in a Contested Divorce Trial in Ontario

Divorce is a life-altering event that can be emotionally draining and legally complex. When a divorce becomes contested, both spouses cannot agree on some or all of the key issues. This can lead to more significant challenges, as the court has to step ...

DC Icon

Do Divorce Lawyers Work on Weekends? Get Expert Advice When You Need It

If you've been wondering, "Do divorce lawyers work on weekends?" you most likely are experiencing the common truth that navigating the complexities of divorce can be challenging, and finding the right time to discuss your concerns with a divorce lawyer ...

DC Icon

How to Not Pay Spousal Support in Canada

Introduction Divorce can be a challenging and emotionally draining process, and one of the most contentious issues is often the payment of spousal support. Many individuals going through a divorce wonder, "how to not pay spousal support in Canada?" Whi ...

DC Icon

Divorce Lawyer for Business Owners: Protecting Your Business and Assets

Divorce is a difficult and emotional process for anyone, but it can be particularly challenging for business owners. The division of assets and determination of spousal support can have a significant impact on the future of a business. That's why it's ...

DC Icon

Divorce Lawyer For High Net-Worth Individuals

High Net Worth Divorces: Navigating the Complexities and Protecting Your Assets Divorce is never an easy process, but when it comes to a high net worth separation and divorce, the stakes are even higher. Unlike the average divorce, high net worth divor ...

DC Icon

Applying for Emergency Custody: When & How (Step-by-Step)

Introduction The process of divorce can be emotionally taxing and often presents numerous legal challenges, especially when it involves children. One area of particular concern for parents is the matter of emergency custody, where a parent seeks immedi ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x