Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Joint to SOLE custody? What are the grounds to make this change?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I currently have joint custody of my two children in Ontario. I have been divorced for 4 years and my ex-husband has been living and working in the USA for the past two years. He flies in monthly to see the children, even bi-weekly but does not maintain their current school or extra curricular schedule. I have been a stay at home mom since they were born and now work part time so I can keep their routines in order. My question is ..."Can I now apply for Sole Custody...? " Our original agreement had him seeing the children every other weekend and every Wednesdays, but that does not exist. He basically sees them when it suits his lifestyle. I want my children to see their dad, but he cant keep to the original agreement and its affecting the children.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Answer: In order to provide you with a reliable answer I need to review your Separation Agreement. If you provide it to me I am happy to review it and discuss it with you, as part of a free consultation. Feel free to call me at: (866) 557-3222.

I will comment that if your husband has not been using the time that he is permitted, as provided in the agreement, then it should be possible to change the agreement, either through negotiations or Court Order. Obviously, there will have to be some flexibility given that he works in the USA, however the access cannot be anytime that he wants. There must still be some structure and reasonable notice. I have dealt with this situation before, so I am happy to discuss my exact ideas, in relation to the facts that you relay to me, if you call me for a free consultation.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x