Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

I assume from your question that your husband is self-employed.

If an Application is commenced against your husband, including a claim for spousal support, then he is required to swear a Financial Statement. It is a sworn affidavit. There may be serious consequences if he misrepresents information to the Court.

As part of the litigation process we are entitled to obtain complete documentation with respect to his earnings. If he owns his own company this would include full company records, etc. We are also entitled to question him under oath and a transcript of that questioning can be used before the Court. We can also examine his credit card statements, bank records, etc. We may be able to trace monies coming into an account, or in the alternative construct a reasonable argument that he must be earning a certain amount of money in order to account for his paid expenses. There are different legal arguments and strategies that can be used and I have provided you with a few examples. Of course, what makes sense for your case would depend upon your unique facts. You are welcome to telephone me at 905-451-3222 for a free consultation. I will offer one further comment, which is that a Judge can also impute income. What this means is that a Judge can make a child support and/or spousal support Order based on an imputed income, as opposed to the income that is simply listed on a person’s CRA Notice of Assessment.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. As well, generally speaking, the above information relates to Ontario law. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, or if you are making inquiries where Ontario law may not apply, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

DC Icon

Divorce dependant on ex agreeing to support payments?

We filed a joint divorce, but I have heard nothing back and my ex wasn't giving me any information either, so I went to the court house to find out. The judge wants my ex to pay child support, even though we have the kids for an equal amount of time. I ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x