Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Spouse refuses to separate

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I have been attempting to separate for over a year now. We have lived in separate rooms for 2 yrs and have had separate accounts for years, we have 2 adult children and I do on occasion have dinner with them but only when one or both children are present. I have consulted a lawyer and had a letter written in July 2012 that states that because of a breakdown of the marriage that I would like to negotiate a separation agreement. My spouse refused to acknowledge the letter and refused to respond to my lawyer or seek legal advice. She works full time and can support herself, but stated she cannot have the lifestyle she wants living on her own. I pay the mortgage, I paid for both cars, I pay the taxes, insurance, hydro, and water bills and help my children whenever they need me. We make approximately the same income, last year she made more than I did. I have agreed to pay her a very reasonable amount to divide the assets and she refuses to agree to that, she wants it all. How can I be separated from this woman legally when she refuses to agree to anything or sign anything. Please Help.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
7 years ago


It sounds like your spouse is refusing to acknowledge the reality of the situation and prefers to continue in the situation she is accustomed to.

After having already sent the letter, your next step is to commence litigation. You can commence a legal proceeding wherein you seek a divorce, and the division of your assets. Your spouse will have to answer the proceedings or risk having a court order made against her.

Quite often an application will assist in waking the other side up, and getting a resolution. You can withdraw the matter at a later date if required.


Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

DC Icon

Custody of children in Britain while father remains in Canada

I am a psychiatrist who is seeing a patient who is the father of children who reside in Britain with their mother from whom he is separated. His only contact with his children is via video conferencing twice per week. What legal option can he pursue to ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x