Contactez un avocatNEW Support Group
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Seeking divorce /1 yr marriage

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

Anonymous Asked:

I have been married for a year and seeking a divorce. It was an arranged marriage, and things never worked out well between us. We lived together for a year but did not ever have any physical relation between us. We lived our own lives. Only lived together for the sake of families and hoping things may change. But things did not and remained the same. We did not have any emotional bonding, and care for one another.
Can this be seen as "living apart for a year" and I can apply for divorce?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

A divorce Application can be started at any time. There are three grounds to claim a divorce in Ontario. One is adultery, the second is cruelty, and the third is being separated for a year or more. The date of your separation is a question of fact. A Judge would consider all of the factual circumstances of the case. Based on your question it would appear that you would be able to rely upon this third ground and finalize the divorce either now or in the near future. I cannot provide you with a legal opinion in this post; however you are welcome to telephone me at 905-451-3222 for a free consultation. I repeat that we can start the divorce Application at any time and it is likely that after we speak I will advise you that the divorce can also now be finalized.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. As well, generally speaking, the above information relates to Ontario law. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, or if you are making inquiries where Ontario law may not apply, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x