Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Rights to my inheritance

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I used my inheritance to purchase a house for my mother in law. When she moved out years later I put the money into a separate account. My husband and I ate now going through a divorce. He sus he has a right to half the inheritance because when we did some renovations on the house we paid with both of our money. Therefore he says it has comingled and is no longer my money. Any money spent on renos is less than 5% of the total value. Is it worth fighting this?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jennifer M. Long, B.A. J.D.
5 years ago

An inheritance received during the marriage can be excluded from the calculation of your Net Family Property provided that it can be traced and was not invested in the matrimonial home. It is unclear to me whether the house you initially purchased for your mother-in-law is now the matrimonial home, or whether it is a property that you and your husband maintained after your mother-in-law moved out, but is not your matrimonial home.

Assuming that that the house in question is the matrimonial home, you would not be entitled to deduct your contribution made from your inheritance from the equalization calculation. You would however be able to exclude any monies which can be traced to the separate bank account that you mentioned.

If on the other hand, the house is not the matrimonial home, you may be entitled to deduct the initial contribution you made using your inheritance monies. I strong recommend that you consult with a lawyer as more details are needed to properly advise you.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x