Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Can I open up my divorce settlement?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

Can I open up my divorce settlement or is there a statue of limitations?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
6 years ago

A divorce settlement may be set aside or varied, depending on the circumstances. For example, there is provision in some legislation as to setting aside a separation agreement (section 56 of the Ontario Family Law Act). Also, there are procedural rules establishing some circumstances in which a court order may be set aside or changed (Rule 19 of the Ontario Family Law Rules). The limitations would apply from the discovery of the information which supports the setting aside or varying of the settlement, although this does not replace legal advice and is subject to the circumstance of the case. However, there may also be situations in which there appears to be grounds to set aside or vary the settlement, and in fact the recourse is against the lawyer providing advice and representation on the settlement. You would need to consult with a family law lawyer to determine whether or not the circumstances are appropriate to set aside or vary the settlement, and if not then you would need to consider and obtain advice on what recourse you may have.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x