Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Paying child support for non-biological children?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My question is about paying child support for non-biological children. I am separated from my wife and I have been told that I am obligated to pay child support as well as their university... We were only married 4 or 5 years and the children at 16 and 19. I have been paying this for 2 years but it just seems wrong!!! The lawyer I got told me to just pay it as I would lose in court... But they aren't my children and she is collecting child support from their biological father. Am I responsible?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Site Admin
5 years ago

It is a somewhat complicated question which can not be properly answered solely on the facts you have provided. While it is true that child support continues beyond age 19 if the child is continuing to attend full time education in order to become self sufficient, that does not mean that in all cases, a step parent would be obliged to pay support beyond age 19 nor would a step parent typically pay the full table amount as their table amount payable would be reduced by the amount of child support being paid by the biological parent. Also generally regarding support for children over 19 see the decision of Farden v. Farden from the BC Supreme Court (BCSC) and the decision of the BC Court of Appeal (BCCA) in Darlington v. Darlington to read all of the factors that the court considers in determining the entitlement and quantum of child support payable for children over 19.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x