Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Moving and schools

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

Good afternoon,

I have been divorced for 5 years. My ex is now in a new relationship and has moved to a different sector, that is no longer in our children's school zone.

He has kept the home that was in the school zone and is renting it.

I will be moving next summer, outside of the school zone as well.

He is opposing my move and plans on using the law to prevent me from moving because he does not want our children to change schools. He is under the assumption that because he's kept the house located in the school zone that they can still attend that school.

My inerpretation of what is your main residence is where you actually live - his other house is now only income property - he claims otherwise.

I would like some clarification on what would be considered your family home, and whether you actually need to reside there to have it considered as such.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Andrew Heft
5 years ago

Your question actually involves two different sets of laws and regulations which could possibly have different definitions of residency. 

Residency based on the civil code is defined as the place where one habitually resides. If you or your ex-spouse do not live or spend any time in the rented house then it isn't possible to claim the rented house as being a habitual residence. 

Residency, for purposes of establishing school board territory is determined by a different series of laws and regulations but ultimately decided on the type of proof the school board requires to determine residency. Fundamentally, there is no need to reside on a particular territory to be allowed to frequent its school. The reason this is a widely held belief is that local residents close to the school are given priority and that there is usually no room left once these local children are registered. Exceptions do also exist but are governed by School board regulations and policies. 

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x