Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

My wife was able to sell our house unilaterally

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My wife has withdrew marital relations for more than a year then left the marital home for more than a year then filed for divorce. At first I did not want to contest the divorce on religious grounds; did not have a layer and appeared in court unprepared not filing my financial status. The court gave me 10 days to file the proper documents failure to do so then my wife would have the right to sell the house as being uncontested. I was advised to hire a layer and I did. I got the financial documents he requested and gave his the order from the judge that the documents must be filed within a specific time else my wife was free to sell the house. The layer did not file the documents on time even though I gave him all the documents and signed the required papers before time. His argument is that because we have been separated for more than a year it is an uncontested divorce and it just automatic. Is that true?
I was trying to stall the sale of the house, by refusing to sign the final document. I ignored 4 calls over two consecutive days from my layer because I wanted to stall. A week after I called my layer who said the he was in court the previous day and the judge ordered me to pay $4500; that is not a problem. Can my layer not call me in five days stating that the five days ago my voice mail box was full and appear in court without even trying to get in touch with me on the court date or via registered mail and is representing me well?
When I first hired him, he explained that the proceeds from the sale would be apportioned by the court… is that still the case since she was able to sell the house unilaterally? By the way the house was bought jointly, I got into financial difficulties and signed over my portion of the house to her to facilitate the mortgage rates but we continued to live as man a wife together with no talk of divorce.
The divorce documents I did up with him has for spousal support for me, joint custody of the child and cost.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jennifer M. Long, B.A. J.D.
4 years ago

It appears that there are a number of issues, but I would require further clarification and additional information before I could properly advise you. It is unclear to me whether you are dissatisfied with the services your lawyer has provided. If so, you may wish to seek alternate counsel, but based on your post, it seems that there was a court date set and your wife obtained an order to sell the home because you were avoiding calls from your lawyer.

With respect to your question about an uncontested divorce, I think that what your lawyer may have been referring to is the fact that in Ontario we have “no-fault” divorce. That means that so long as you and your spouse have been separated for at least one year, either party can apply for a divorce.
​ However, again, without further information about what your lawyer said specifically, I cannot properly advise you. You would be best to meet with another lawyer to fully explain the situation.​

I strongly recommend that you consult with your lawyer, or seek alternate counsel to assist you moving forward.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x