Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

What power do I have to force him to move with me?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I have sole custody of my 14 year old son. After a two and a half year custody battle I was on the the verge of winning the battle. The mother gave up (mostly to avoid having the pay a large portion of my legal fees) and hatred that I should have sole custody. The agreement was signed 7 months ago. I recently made the decision to move away (approx 50 km), and my son threatened to move with his mom. What power do I have to force him to move with me? Will she be able to get child support? Is my current agreement worth anything?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
6 years ago

You would need to consult a family law lawyer to specifically obtain direct advice and guidance as to what power you have to force your son to move with you. The custody order is subject to change, and is intended to ensure the child's best interests are met. As you have sole custody, for the most part, the responsibilities to ensure the child's best interests are your sole responsibility. However, there are also other factors that must be considered. For example, the child's preferences, neighbourhood, routine, involvement in community and school, and the desirability of maximizing contact with his mother, etc. If you were to change the child's circumstances from the move and any of these other factors were impacted, then it may be necessary to revisit the custody and access terms in the order. The threshold for such a review would be a material change in circumstances, and the proposed relocation appears to be something that was not foreseeable, and would materially impact the child's best interests.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x