Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Am I entitled to ask for some sort of financial recompense?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I left my partner of 22 years, nearly four years ago. He had been a serial cheater and had met someone he wanted to marry and he asked me to move out. I did and took very little with me when I left. I didn't ask for and division of assets or for financial support. I was a mess and just wanted to get out.

Now I'm healthier and able to think straight, I'm wondering if I'm able to get some sort of financial recompense at this time or if it's too late? In order to start over, I went into a deep hole of debt and am struggling with it.

We were common-law and when he moved in, he was a student with nothing. All assets were mine, everything. He brought nothing with him. When I left it was the same, everything was mine, all he purchased was a desk, chair, computer and bicycles. I even purchased most of his clothing. So in effect, when I left, I left behind all of MY things.

Am I entitled to ask for some sort of financial recompense?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Stuart Zukerman
5 years ago

A: Yes you are still entitled to make those claims. You should file a Notice of Family Claim in the Supreme Court of BC seeking spousal support and asset and debt division. The delay may somewhat prejudice your spousal support claim – as waiting four years implies that you have been able to support yourself and that you do not need spousal support, but it does not prejudice your property and debt division claim. You will need documentation to prove what the assets and debts were at the time of separation.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x