Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Is he legally entitled to stop child support payments?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

Hello. I have a two part question. My ex suddenly decided that he'd like to make changes to how custody of our daughter is split. As it stands, he takes her every other weekend and every Wednesday. Now, he'd like to have her every other week, for an entire week at a time. This is not what was initially agreed upon when we met with our lawyer. If I refuse, is there anything he can do to force the matter and get his way in the end?

Secondly, he threatened to stop child support which was also legally agreed upon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he has no right to that because that is what was written up by our lawyer. At what point is he legally entitled to stop child support payments?

Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my questions.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Andrew Heft
5 years ago

Your ex-spouse cannot force you to do anything that you are not comfortable doing or in agreement with. The only option which he has to force the issue is to bring forth your disagreement before a judge and have the judge decide what he or she believes is best for the child in the particular circumstances of your case.

Concerning child support he must continue to pay as per the agreement that both yourself and your ex-spouse have signed. If there is no term in the agreement or condition that would permit him to stop paying then he has an obligation to continue to do so until such time as there is a new agreement between yourself and himself or until a Court order says otherwise.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x