Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

How can I leave without his family intervening?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I have been attempting to bring up the courage to leave my husband since July 2014 when we were traveling abroad and caused a domestic in a 3rd world country. Flash forward to returning to Toronto and I'm pregnant. We try to discuss the issues he makes promises. November promises are broken and at 4 months he is driving at high speeds slamming on brakes through downtown scaring me and screaming at me- I can't get out of the car. I am threatened that I can't leave as his family will take the unborn child? I stay we are now a month into having the baby. He is unable to refrain from screaming in front of the child. Theirs no communication. I need to leave for the child's sake and my own. How can I leave without his family intervening and taking my child! How can I leave without his family intervening

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jennifer M. Long, B.A. J.D.
5 years ago

If you fear for your safety or the safety of your child, you should report any incidences of abuse to the Police. You can also start a family court proceeding seeking custody, a restraining order and/or exclusive possession of the matrimonial home, which means that your husband would be ordered to leave the home.

With respect to custody, the primary concern of the courts is the best interests of the child. Much weight is given to the status quo and courts will consider factors such as the age of the child, the current living arrangements and routine, and who has been the child's primary caregiver. The relationship between the parties and their ability to communicate with one another are also important considerations.

The issues that you raise are complex. I strongly advise that you speak to a lawyer about your situation in greater detail to determine the best course of action for you to take.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x