Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Do I have to pay child support if I don't want the baby?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

Met a lady and did 2 dates, she is now saying i am the father ; and wanting child support when the baby is born,
1. Do I have to pay child support if I don't want the baby (ask for a abortion) but she wants the child...would that change anything ?
2.If i have other kids and am already financially maxed in making their payments and mortgage and living expenses - does that change anything.
3.Assuming we make the same amount of annual income, am I still obligated to pay $1206 per month table amount ?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Stuart Zukerman
5 years ago

Requesting that she have an abortion will have no impact whatsoever on your financial responsibility for the child. You may want to ensure that a DNA test is done at the time of birth to confirm whether you are the father. If you have an existing court order or written agreement obligating you to pay child support for other children of yours, then you can apply under the Undue Hardship provisions of the Child Support Guidelines to request permission that you pay less than the table amount that would otherwise be payable by you (though there is no guarantee that you will succeed in this regard as the court will conduct a comparative standard of living test between your household and the recipient’s household before determining if you qualify to proceed with an undue hardship claim )

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x