Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Child support reduction

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

My husband has a daughter from a previous marriage. she is now 15 years old 16 in a few months. She has dropped out of high school against all our efforts to keep her in school. She has seen a psychologist and been cleared of any issues. She just chooses not to go. She says she would rather work and we can't force to go to school. She resides with her mother. Do we have grounds to reduce or stop payments if she gets a job to support herself or reduce them?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jennifer M. Long, B.A. J.D.
5 years ago

Under section 31(1) of the Family Law Act, every parent has an obligation to support an unmarried child who is a minor or enrolled in a full-time program of education. However, subsection 31(2) provides that this obligation does not extend to a child who is 16 years of age and has voluntarily withdrawn from parental control. Although your husband’s daughter may have dropped out of school, the fact that she continues to reside with her mother suggests to me that she is not self-supporting, but rather is still financially dependent on her mother, and thus has not fully withdrawn from parental control as contemplated by the Act. The outcomes of these kinds of cases are very fact specific, and I would recommend that your husband consult with a lawyer to discuss the situation in greater detail.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Simple Divorce

We have already settled support and property division so it is just a matter of getting a divorce. He wants to serve me with papers, or have me go to his lawyers since I am not protesting the divorce do I have to do anything and will it cost me money? ...

DC Icon

Is the 6 year rule for settlement of home and assets written in stone or can it be extended?

My husband and I have been separated for 6 years this coming August. Can I ask for an extension to the time limit or can it be extended at all? If my husband who has moved out and is living with someone else and has a home together will not agree on a ...

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x