Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Can I take my baby with me?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I have decided to take a seperate path of living from my husband, however I have a 1 year old baby. I am recently living in Montreal. My question is if I decided to move from Montreal to another city inside the Canada can I easily take my baby with me? Or what are the conditions?
Thank you

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Andrew Heft
6 years ago

In your situation I would highly recommend obtaining a Court ordered permission or written consent from the father to your relocation. Leaving the province without such could be interpreted as kidnapping and have serious consequences for yourself as well as custody of your child.

We would also recommend such action even if you plan on relocating within Québec. Essentially, the father is in his right to know where the child is living and in his right to exercise access to the child. If your relocation hinders any one of these rights you must obtain the father's or the Court's permission.

As for conditions, these issues are decided by the Courts on a case by case basis, there are no absolute conditions or requirements that could guarantee relocation. The only absolute is that the outcome must take into consideration the best interest of the child. For more information I would suggest you consult the section on custody and access, which es criteria would guide the Court in it's evaluation.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x