Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

I do not even want him to have visitation rights

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I am 3 months pregnant. After living with the father for 8 months we separated when I was 7 weeks pregnant. He was verbally and physically abusive but never reported. Him and his family have been pushing me for an abortion but I decided to keep the baby. He is not interested in the baby but I am afraid once I give birth he will change his mind. If he is not involved with the pregnancy can he claim rights on the child. I do not even want him to have visitation rights since he tried to get me to have an abortion. What should I do to keep him out of my life?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Whether the father is involved in the pregnancy is not relevant in terms of whether he can seek access to the child after the child is born.

The legal test for access is the best interest of the child. Unless there is something significantly wrong with the father then he will have the right to see the child, assuming he makes the claim. The issue will be how often he sees the child and what type of access he has, such as overnight, supervised, daytime access, etc.

In addition, regardless of whether he wanted the child or has any role with the child after he/she is born, you are entitled to seek child support from him. This is an absolute right on your part. The amount of the child support depends on the unique facts of your case. You are welcome to telephone me at 866-557-3222 for a free consultation.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. As well, generally speaking, the above information relates to Ontario law. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, or if you are making inquiries where Ontario law may not apply, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x