Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Is a Child attending university 100km away still entitled to support?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I have a daughter that is attending guelph university. I am primary caregiver. She resides with me. Her father, payor, is seeking a negotiation to reduce child support during the school year. 50 percent of the federal tables. Father lives in Saskatchewan. Is this negotiable? What are our options? If any.

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
A Family Lawyer
6 years ago

The child support is either pursuant to the Tables and with add-ons pursuant to section 7 of the Guidelines. Alternatively, the child support is calculated based on the child's needs and having regard to each of the parents financial abilities to contribute to those needs. As the child lives with you during the school year, it would be appropriate to continue with the Table amount and the post-secondary education costs be regarded as section 7 expenses. Generally speaking, when a child is living away then the parent is required to contribute to the housing and residence costs. Here, as the child is living with you, the other parent should be contributing toward the child's housing and residence costs with you. On the one scenario we look at the actual costs and on the other scenario we don't look at the actual costs, however this does not mean that the one approach is more correct than the other.

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Can I not pay child support in Canada?

Hi, I'm a 17 years old guy and I accidently got my ex-girlfriend pregnant (if she is not lying). The problem is, we are not dating anymore and I cannot pay the child support. I don't even work and my parents would probably kill me. So I spoke to her ye ...

DC Icon

Spouse under-reporting income to CRA and doesn't want to pay support

My spouse has been deliberately under-reporting income over the last few years in preparation for a divorce. How can I prove this, as my spouse does not want to pay spousal support?

DC Icon

My ex stopped child support payments

My ex stopped his child support cheque (it bounced). His lawyer is demanding (unreasonable) information about child and stopped the payments to extort that information. According to our separation agreement, my ex has to keep paying even if there are d ...

DC Icon

Child support payments while on EI

When the parent who has to pay child support and is on unemloyment insurance does he still have to pay? If yes when do i receive the support check?

DC Icon

Missing Child since 2009

My wife ran away to Hong Kong in 2009, I have no news of my son since. I have an e-mail contact with her and that's it. I want to see my son, hold him in my arms... we are in 2016, it's been 7 years... She doesn't let me talk to him or see him, and she ...

DC Icon

Ex lives in the Philippines - how can I get divorced?

I lived here in BC for more than 6 years and have legally separated with husband in the Philippines. Now i want to file an uncontested divorce from here but the problem is, my ex husband is not allowed to sign the divorce paper that i prepare since Div ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x