Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

I sponsored my husband and he left me for another woman

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I sponsored my husband to Canada he has his permanent residence and left after 2 years to go live with another woman who he knew was legally married. I have 4 more months of immigration responsibility with him however we are not together. I want to file a divorce on grounds of adultery there is no legal separation in place on my part what can be done? I am on disability at this present moment

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

There does not have to be a “legal separation” in place for the two of you to be legally separated. Your date of separation is a question of fact for the two of you to agree upon, or in the alternative for a Judge to decide if there is disagreement. A divorce Application can be filed at any time and, yes, you can use the ground of adultery if you believe this to be an honest ground in your case. The alternative is to claim either cruelty (which is very rare) or being separated for one or more years, which is the no-fault ground.

A divorce Application can be commenced at any time, and you can seek a divorce and, given that you are on disability, potentially spousal support. I would need to speak with you in order to determine whether you would have a valid spousal support claim, but I did want to raise that as an issue given that you are on disability. If you wish you are welcome to telephone me at 866-557-3222 for a free consultation.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. As well, generally speaking, the above information relates to Ontario law. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, or if you are making inquiries where Ontario law may not apply, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Mutual divorce

What is the process & conditions of mutual divorce in Toronto & how much time it takes ?

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x