Contactez un avocat
DC Logo F-no-tagline
DC Logo F-no-tagline

Can he take control of the property or can he lock me out?

Fill out the form below to receive a no-obligation consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Anonymous Asked:

I am thinking of leaving my husband. I have records of all of my finances as of today but I am worried about the following
1. What if I leave and my husband starts removing money from our joint accounts
2. If I decide to leave the home is he entitled to more rights ie. can he take control of the property or can he lock me out. What are my rights?

Expert Comment:

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

You have asked two questions. In terms of the first question I would be pleased to speak with you, as part of a free consultation, to provide you with specific strategies. This is a legitimate concern. Once I have obtained facts from you then I can provide you with a specific recommendation.

In terms of the second question, if you leave the home your property rights remain unaffected. You can still claim an equalization of net family property, pursuant to the Family Law Act. However, I need to know whether the home is jointly owned in terms of the limitation period issue, and whether you have any children. Although not a property issue, whether you have children may affect whether you should leave the home prior to the signing of a Separation Agreement or obtaining a Court Order.

In terms of whether he can “lock you out” there are possessory rights that you are entitled to enforce under Part 2 of the Family Law Act. However, at some point in time if you abandon the home you may not be entitled to return, although once again this does not affect your right to receive your fair share from the property, but I again remind you about the limitation period issue.

I suggest that you telephone me at 866-557-3222 for a free consultation and, after I am able to ask you some questions, I can provide you with more guidance.

(The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. As well, generally speaking, the above information relates to Ontario law. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, or if you are making inquiries where Ontario law may not apply, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Latest Questions Asked:

DC Icon

Stock calculation during a divorce

Hi there, I have a question about calculation of stocks during separation. for example prior to marriage I had 100 shares of company X with a value of $1000 ($10 per share). At time of separation I have 200 shares of stock X worth $8000 ($40 per share ...

DC Icon

Can I divorce my spouse who lives in another country

My partner and I are amicable in getting a divorce, nothing to negotiate, she resides in another country and is not planning to return to Ontario. I'm wondering if there is a possibility to file forms online, or must I send the paperwork overseas and h ...

DC Icon

Forcing my spouse back to work when we separate

My wife has been stay at home mom for over 9 years of a 17 year marriage. I've wanted her to go back to work but she has found every reason not to go back. We are nearing separation and my income alone won't support 3 kids and 2 homes. We go into debt ...

DC Icon

I got married in Toronto and divorced in Mexico City. Do I have to register my divorce in Toronto?

I got married in Toronto to my Mexican ex-husband and we divorced in Mexico City in 2009. From what I understood from the divorce proceeding, the judge ordered the court to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Canadian authorities of my ...

DC Icon


How is the remaining contribution room of a child's RESP shared (assuming an RESP is started but contributions are less than the maximum $50k per beneficiary) if no stipulation was made in the separation agreement? (Note: also assuming each parent cont ...

DC Icon

Custody of children in Britain while father remains in Canada

I am a psychiatrist who is seeing a patient who is the father of children who reside in Britain with their mother from whom he is separated. His only contact with his children is via video conferencing twice per week. What legal option can he pursue to ...

See All Questions
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x